We are looking for up to ten teams for our first class in Feb-May 2013. Brilliant teams, with great ideas in interesting markets.
- Team – composition, attitude, motivation, experience, cohesiveness
- Idea – market size and opportunity, disruptiveness of product
- Investment potential – investability and clear pathway for follow on rounds
- Programme fit – cultural fit for programme
- No lone wolves; must be two or more (but no more than 5 either – the sweet spot is 3 to 4)
- Must be willing and able to be based on site for the duration of the programme (must relocate to Wellington if out of region/country)
- Must be willing and able to work full time on the opportunity (no bootstrapping – that’s what the seed funding is for)
Ideal Team Characteristics
- A natural CEO, at least one technical member and a marketing person
- At a life stage where acceleration is appropriate and can have an impact
- The opportunity has prospects in larger markets
- First external funding (Angel/Seed Plus) is foreseeable
- Open and receptive to advice/feedback, Good to work with
- You excite us and we want to work with you
New Zealanders are notoriously late at responding to party invites or getting applications in. International experience has been that the best teams apply early, even though there is large rush in the final days applications are open. Our application process enables you to send us progress updates. Don’t wait to have the perfect application, get your application in as soon as practical and then send us regular progress updates.
In particular we are keen to know how you are going with:
- Building your team (getting the business, technical, marketing and other talent you need to be successful)
- Your prototype or product
- Achieving key milestones (sign-ups, page views, sales, TechNZ grants and so on)
We will be holding forums about applying to the Lightning Lab later, register your interest in attending by Contacting us and we will let you know as soon as they are scheduled.
Check out Frequently Asked Questions
If you are out of town check out the Wellington page